Overview the Future Leaders Scholarship
Do you have the drive to make a difference?
Whether your focus is Asia, new technology or social change we're offering postgraduate study for talented individuals at Australia's leading universities. Scholars will be exceptional people, chosen for their potential to make a difference to Australia's future in one of our three focus areas:
- Technology and innovation
- Strengthening Australia-Asia ties
- Enabling positive social change
Valued at up to $120,000 over, typically, 2-3 years, scholarships will be awarded annually for research or coursework studies at graduate level.
View or download the Future Leaders Scholarship brochure.
We're looking for Australia's best and brightest
Your ability matches your drive - giving you the potential to make a lasting difference to Australia's future. We want to help you realise this potential.
Who can apply?
Open to scholars who have:
- Who have demonstrated academic excellence and are eager to undertake a PhD or full time Masters at one of nine universities, in a field of world class standing.
- Passionate about strengthening Australia's ties with Asia, driving technology and innovation or enabling positive social change.
- With a bold vision to contribute to the growth and prosperity of Australia who can articulate this vision and how postgraduate study will help make it real.
- Possessing a desire and potential to lead.
- Keen to be inspired by others, build networks and collaborate across diverse disciplines.
- Confident in taking on challenges.
Scholars applicants must be:
- You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- You have completed an undergraduate degree after 1 September 2012, OR will complete an undergraduate degree in the year of application.
- You have achieved or are on track to achieve an average result of H1 or H2A equivalent (approx. 75%).
- You have chosen to undertake a full-time Masters by coursework or research of a PhD at one of our nine participating universities with demonstrated world-class capability in the proposed area of study.
- You must commence study in the following year of the application (Jan - Dec).
- Your proposed program of study:
- Can be in any field and must be relevant to the Foundation's focus areas
- Include international opportunities, such as a period of study at an overseas university, an invited presentation at a conference significant to the discipline, or a period of internship or placement at an overseas organisation, which will develop your leadership skills and global networks
- Underpin a worthy and viable post-study plan that benefits Australia
- Funding requests for the purpose of medical research as defined in the ARC Medical Research Policy available on the Australian Research Council website will not be considered; MD programs or equivalent are also excluded.
Our Partner Universities
We have partnered with nine leading Australian universities to deliver the Future Leaders Scholarship. Scholarship recipients must undertake their postgraduate studies at one of the following nine universities, in a field of world-class standing:
- The University of Adelaide
- The Australian National University
- The University of Melbourne
- Monash University
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- University of Tasmania
- University of New South Wales
- University of Western Australia
Future Leaders Selection Panel
The National Selection Panel comprises senior industry and academic leaders responsible for the final selection of Westpac Research Fellows and Future Leader Scholars. Through the rigorous selection process, the Panel is dedicated to recruiting Australia's best and brightest leaders, innovators and pioneers from all walks of life.