The fund was established by the School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering with the support of Emeritus Professor John Simmons in 2015. The fund is supported by the School’s alumni and friends and will be used to distribute small annual grants ($500 - $1500) to help undergraduates gain more from the extra -curricular activities that make university such a life -changing experience.
At a glance
Available to: Current Student
Level of study:
- Postgraduate Coursework
- Postgraduate Research
Year of study: 2nd - 5th year
Citizenship: Australian and Permanent Residents or NZ citizens
The fund is awarded to students to increase the mobility of students in interstate or overseas curricular or extracurricular activities.
An applicant is eligible for a grant, if the applicant:
- Is enrolled full time in an approved undergraduate engineering program through the School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering.
- Is a domestic student within the meaning of the Fee Rules.
- has made satisfactory academic progress for each semester enrolled.
- Has demonstrate initiative as part of their application
Examples of activities supported through awarding of grants (not exhaustive)
- BE (Honours) or BE (Honours)/ME students undertaking their placement course.
- Student placement or other activity in a country where the primary language spoken is not the student’s first language.
- Students who publish a paper as first author to attend a conference to present the paper themselves.
- Registered elite athletes attending a significant overseas athletic event that will help advance their athletic career.
- RHD students undertaking an overseas internship that furthers their research project.
- Attendance at “iconic” activities (e.g. international mining games).