The scholarship is awarded to postgraduate students who are undertaking a Master by coursework or research or a PhD at one of nine participating world-class universities - which include ANU. In addition to demonstrating academic excellence in their own field of study, Westpac Future Leader Scholars will have the desire and potential to become leaders, inspire others and build collaborative networks across disciplines, and have the vision to contribute to the growth and prosperity of Australia.
To be eligible for a Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (New Zealand citizens who are not also Australian citizens are not eligible to apply);
- Have completed an undergraduate degree within the last five years, or will complete in the year of application;
- Have achieved or are on track to achieve an average result of H1 or H2A (or equivalent);
- Have chosen to undertake a Master by coursework or research or a PhD at the ANU with demonstrated world-class capability in the proposed area of study;
- If undertaking a research program, the proposed area of research must be in a field of research with an Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) four-digit Field of Research (FOR) rating of 5.
- Commence study in the year following the year of application;
- Whose proposed program of study and post-study plan must contribute to the future of Australia in at least one of the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation's priority funding areas;
- Technology and innovation
- Strengthening the ties between Australia and Asia
- Enabling positive social change;
- Include international opportunities, such as a period of study at an overseas university, a presentation at a conference significant to the discipline, or an internship or placement at an overseas organisation which will develop your leadership skills and global networks; and
- Underpin a worthy and viable post-study plan that benefits Australia
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Academic excellence and are eager to undertake a PhD or full-time Master by coursework or research at ANU, in a field of world-class standing;
- Passionate about strengthening Australia's ties with Asia, driving technology and innovation or enabling positive social change;
- A bold vision to contribute to the growth and prosperity of Australia who can articulate this vision and how postgraduate study will help make it real;
- Possessing a desire and potential to lead;
- Keen to be inspired by others, build networks and collaborate across diverse disciplines; and
- Confident in taking on challenges.
The Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship provides the following benefits:
- A scholarship valued at up to $120,000 paid over 2-3 years;
- Participation in a nine-month Leadership Development Program beyond the degree program which will provide relevant experiences, exposure to global thought leaders, build on strengths, develop targeted leadership capabilities, and create career pathways to help the Scholar succeed in their field;
- Global experience and opportunity to add a global context to the Scholar's education, with tailored international experiences of up to six months; and
- Membership in the Westpac Scholars Alumni Program, with access to ongoing networking, learning and development opportunities.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted through the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation's online application system. Supporting documentation required as part of the online application:
- A CV of no more than two pages of 10 point Arial fontand line spacing 1.5;
- A photo (headshot) of the applicant;
- (For PhD or Master by Research applicants only): A letter of support from the applicant's prospective ANU Research School stating that they are eligible to apply for entry into a PhD or Master by Research program, and including the name of the Research Supervisor;
- Certified copy of all university academic transcripts;
- Two references are required using the reference templates which are located on the Westpac Bicentennial website. The referees selected should be people who consent to be contacted by the Foundation:
- The first is an Academic Reference and needs to be completed by a person who is familiar with the applicant's academic record and understands the importance of their study program.
- The second is a Personal Reference and needs to be completed by a person who can demonstrate that the applicant has the attributes of a Westpac Scholar. This can be a previous work colleague or manager, however, should not be a family member or a person who currently or previously reported directly to the applicant;
Applicants may be required to present proof of citizenship or permanent residency at any time during the selection process. Applications received without the above-mentioned documentation will not be considered by the Foundation. Templates for the supporting documents are available on the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation Website.
Intending applicants should also lodge an application for admission to an HDR program at ANU including identification of a potential supervisor to be considered for award of this Scholarship.
If you would like more information about preparing your application, please contact Philanthropic.Scholarships@anu.edu.au to speak with a Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship Awardee.